This Ontario College Graduate Certificate program prepares students from a wide variety of diploma and degree programs for careers in the field of technical communication.
While a proven ability in writing is a prerequisite for admission to the program, successful candidates are trained to communicate clear and accurate information to online, print and real-time audiences. The spread of technology-based communications has created a high demand for qualified writers beyond the area of high technology in every field of industry and in the public sector.
In addition to possessing advanced writing skills, technical communicators need well-developed abilities in research, analysis and organization. An essential part of a technical writer's work is to provide efficient communication that an organization can use to function effectively. Successful candidates are trained to gather relevant product data and to produce technical documentation that meets the needs of businesses and their clients. Students participate in small group projects and collaborative activities within the program and across technology programs at the College. In addition to honing research, analysis and organizational skills, these activities also refine the development of team skills prized in the workplace.
This one-year program concludes with an onsite, practical workplace assignment which is typically arranged by the program coordinator.
This program is well-suited for students who:
- Possess advanced written and oral communication abilities.
- Enjoy designing, developing, writing and refining online and print material.
- Possess interpersonal skills for collaboration with colleagues.
- Enjoy researching, collecting, analyzing and organizing technical information.
- Function in a self-directed manner in a team environment.
- Organize their work and pay attention to detail.
- Enjoy using software tools to create documents and websites.
- 1385 Woodroffe Avenue
- K2G 1V8