The Certified Professional Technical CommunicatorTM (CPTC) credential assures employers and the public that the certified practitioners possesses the knowledge, skill, and ability needed to meet the demands of complex technical communication projects from the planning stage through completion. CPTC-certified practitioners have demonstrated that they have the most up-to-date skills in the industry.
Be a leader! Take your career to the next level by obtaining the CPTC™ credential. It’s the most efficient way to prove your skills and knowledge in the technical communication field. And it's available at a substantial discount to STC members.
- Articulate the contributions of technical communicators as knowledge workers
- Increase respect for our profession
- Establish worldwide performance standards
- Enhance the employability and compensation of certified practitioners
- Set and satisfy employers’ expectations
- Reduce hiring risk for employers
What We Certify
The CPTC credential is available worldwide to experienced technical communicators who work in English and wish to demonstrate that they have the ability to meet the North American standards for practice.
Certification demonstrates the recipient’s experience in and personal, ongoing commitment to the profession. It encompasses broad areas of practice that represent the major activities performed by technical communicators. The certified practitioner demonstrates proficiency in the following areas:
- User, Task, and Experience Analysis — Define the users of the information and analyze the tasks that the information must support.
- Information Design — Plan information deliverables to support task requirements. Specify and design the organization, presentation, distribution and archival for each deliverable.
- Process Management — Plan the deliverables schedule and monitor the process of fulfillment.
- Information Development — Author content in conformance with the design plan, through an iterative process of creation, review, and revision.
- Information Production — Assemble developed content into required deliverables that conform to all design, compliance, and production guidelines. Publish, deliver, and archive.
STC members receive a discount on their certification applications. Review the application materials and pricing!