STC is an individual membership organization dedicated to advancing the arts and sciences of technical communication. It is the largest organization of its type in the world.
The Society for Technical Communication advances technical communication as the discipline of transforming complex information into usable content for products, processes, and services.
STC serves its members by identifying and promoting best practices in the field and by demonstrating the economic value delivered by technical communicators. By providing lifelong learning opportunities, we help our members develop their skills and competencies so that they may advance in a variety of career paths.
To achieve this mission, we focus our efforts in these areas:
- Offer continuing education that enhances the competencies and skills of our members and enables lifelong learning
- Foster the means and opportunity for technical communication professionals to succeed in today’s workforce and to grow into related career fields
- Define and publicize the economic contribution of technical communication practices to businesses and governments
- Promote the concept that technical communication training develops foundational skills and fosters in practitioners habits of analysis, discernment, and problem-solving that underpins their ability to successfully perform in many fields
- Manage the operations of the Society in a sound and sustainable manner, investing strategically to enhance our ability to deliver member value
Technical communication is recognized globally as an essential part of every organization’s competitive strategy.