The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing
In 2001, Krista Van Laan and Catherine Julian wrote The Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing. Last year, the rights reverted to the authors, and Krista Van Laan has written a completely updated, revised, and expanded sequel, The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing.
In the 11 years since the previous book, the technical writing field has undergone a revolution in techniques and tools. Van Laan's new book is up-to-the-minute, with new material covering social media, XML, eBooks, and writing for the web, along with the always important topics of planning, writing, using style guides, working with subject matter experts, getting started as a writer, and managing a technical writing career.
Whether you're thinking of becoming a technical writer, just starting out, or you've been working for a while and feel the need to take your skills to the next level, The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing can help you be a successful technical writer and build a satisfying career.
Inside the Book
- Is This Job for Me? What does it take to be a technical writer?
- Building the Foundation: What skills and tools do you need to get started?
- The Best Laid Plans: How do you create a schedule that won't make you go crazy? How do you manage different development processes, including Agile methodologies?
- On the Job: What does it take to walk into a job and be productive right away?
- The Tech Writer's Toolkit: How do you create style guides, indexes, templates and layouts? How do you manage localization and translation and all the other non-writing parts of the job?
- I Love My Job: How do you handle the ups and downs of being a technical writer?
- Appendixes: References to websites, books, and other resources to keep you learning.
About the Author
Krista Van Laan has worked in, managed, and built from the ground up multi-level Technical Publications and User Experience departments in telecommunications, consumer software and hardware, enterprise software and services, and Internet companies, both in the United States and internationally. She is co-author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Technical Writing. Krista is currently the Director of User Experience at a Silicon Valley enterprise.
- Author: Krista VanLaan
- XML Press
- ISBN: 978-1-937434-03-8